Blog

Feb 21, 2011

Inspiration: Bruce Timm Edition

As previously mentioned, for my Character Design class, the artist whose style we had to emulate this week was Bruce Timm.  Bruce is best known (from my childhood, at least) for being the driving force behind the look of Batman: The Animated Series and all the shows that followed it.  His style is deceptively simple, incredibly appealing, and has definitely defined the look of all the DC Comics cartoons that have come out throughout the past couple decades (and even the recent Marvel ones, really), even when he wasn't the character designer.

This was another week of my own style getting in the way of the artist, but I also found myself naturally following a lot of what Bruce does.  It was an odd sort of nostalgia drawing Batman for the first time in a good many years.  Since Bruce comes from a comic book background and therefore does a lot of brush work to clean up/ink his work, I thought this would be the perfect week to try my cool new Pentel Arts Pocket Brush Pen!  Let me tell you, it works awesomely!  I can't say I've tried any similar permanent ink brush pens, but I like the results I got with this one.  I definitely have a good deal to learn in terms of controlling it, but I will for sure be using it in my own work in the future.

Anywho, so here are a few pieces I created in Bruce Timm's style (-ish), then cleaned up with my new brush pen, then colored in Photoshop.  Long live the 90's!





All original artwork © 2020 Casey Lowe, unless otherwise noted. Blog powered by Blogger.